Possibly Helpful Advice

Finding your way after leaving the cult of Scientology

1996 GAT Evolution Write-Up by an Outer Org Trainee

robot-orgOne of our readers sent us this account of her participation in the 1996 GAT evolution. I am publishing it in its entirety because it illuminates the mindset of a group which has almost completely abandoned reason for blind obedience. I think you will find it explains the reason for the current lack of capable, trained people in the COS.

The few instances of rational behavior by dedicated staff members stand out starkly against the overwhelming robotism of fully indoctrinated cult members trying to get products under impossible conditions.

This write-up covers my experiences as an Outer Org Trainee from a Class V Org during the original 1996 Golden Age of Tech evolution. It covers the events taking place at Flag leading up to the May 9th event that year when the Golden Age of Tech was released.

by Gwyneth Rolph

The original Golden Age of Tech training program had the purpose of training, as a minimum complement, two supervisors and a word clearer for each org. These trainees were to complete their supervisor and word clearer training on the new GAT line-up and then export the GAT series of programs to their orgs, assist in getting the program targets done, and train staff and students on the new GAT checksheets.

In late 1995/early 1996, before the GAT was officially released at the May 9 event, this entire evolution was top secret. The outer org trainees at Flag were not told about GAT until around the middle of March, and were all bonded in the sum of $10,000 not to reveal this data to anyone until after the May 9 event.

Some smaller orgs struggled to send enough trainees to Flag to fulfil the minimum complement in time for each one of them to complete the training. Such was the pressure on the Orgs to get their trainees to Flag that I can personally attest to the steamrollering and manipulating tactics certain seniors utilized in order to get a done.

Here are a couple of examples.

I was working a day job at the time and was contractually bound by my employer to give a month’s notice to quit. Whoever was in charge of arrivals at Flag, however, wanted me on a plane the next day. I had no intention of simply blowing from my day job, no matter how much I wasn’t enjoying it at the time. So I spoke to one of the senior directors, telling him some story of how I’d had this “lifetime opportunity” come up to enrol in an international training program, which I would miss altogether if I couldn’t be there by next weekend. Together we agreed that I would serve a week’s notice. However, I felt this meant I couldn’t risk giving that employer’s details for a reference when applying for future moonlight jobs in case the matter came up of my leaving at short notice and I was seen as a future flight risk. Perhaps this example serves as a perfect illustration of how short-term stats rule over long-term planning in the Church.

A second example is regarding finances. I was already paying off a loan (courtesy of Church reges) and ended up having to take out another loan so there would be money sitting in my account to cover the monthly repayments for the first loan during the time I would be on training and not earning anything (staff pay never reaching a level where one could qualify it as “earnings”). I was also manipulated into putting the cost of my airline ticket on my credit card, under the promise of the then ED that I would be paid back. The FP committee however threw the rule book at me upon my return, saying this came under purchasing liability of staff members, and the fact I was only staff status 0 at the time and knew nothing of any such policy made no difference. I did eventually track down the previous ED, who was at least decent enough to personally reimburse me. However, sorting this out, and all the other mess on my finances, took years.

Having organized to go to Flag, things started going wrong from the outset. First my flight was overbooked, delaying my arrival by another day. When I did finally arrive on US turf, at Cincinnati Airport, I had problems with the immigration officials, who wanted to go over every detail of the nature of my stay and my financial situation. They were (rather bizarrely) fobbed off with my very brief explanation of what my E-meter was for, but wanted to open the security sealed package containing my PC folder and read through the contents, despite it being clearly labelled as a priest privileged file. When I later wrote up this incident for OSA, they acknowledged my comm but seemed disinclined to follow up on what I had reported. I clearly did not know at the time what OSA are really for!

The shenanigans at Cincinnati caused me to miss my connecting flight to Tampa. Although I was put on the next available flight, the delay caused me to arrive at Tampa without my luggage. I had been told before I left that if I waited at a certain place in the airport, the Flag shuttle buses came and went all day picking up new arrivals from there. I waited and waited. No bus.

The phone number I had been given by my org turned out to be the phone number for Tampa Org instead of the Flag arrivals desk, and it was hours before I managed to speak to someone and have them arrange for a bus to come especially to pick me up. My impression was already one of gross disorganization.

It was evening by the time I arrived at Flag, and I got put onto one of those infamously long arrival routing forms. Arriving at the Internship, I was kept waiting and waiting while the Snr. Intern Sup was busy writing TIPs for other people. After waiting until late in the evening, another staff member advised me to get the bus to the Hacienda, the apartment complex where the outer org trainees and staff stayed, and go to bed. I should finish the routing form in the morning.

By the time I finally got to the Hacienda and got assigned a room, so I could finally take a shower, I had already spent nearly two days travelling, wearing the same clothes, and with nothing clean to change into.

My luggage did eventually arrive the following day.

Returning to the Internship to get my TIP, I was again kept waiting and waiting, and eventually one of the other intern sups wrote up my TIP. He became annoyed when it came to light I hadn’t done staff status I and II. He got out Esto Series 16 and said the steps hadn’t been followed, and I wasn’t qualified to be there. I tried to explain that the reason I hadn’t started the steps was because I was in the middle of Method One, which I had started as a public course back in my org, and the ED had agreed to let me finish it first, in the interest of delivering what was promised. This intern sup continued to make my org wrong and I was feeling distinctly unwelcome at this point.

The training program was supposed to start some time back in 1995 in order to give trainees enough time to complete the entire proposed training line-up. By the time I arrived at Flag, it was already January 1996. I would have about four months to complete all the courses. I remember walking out of there staring at the impossibly long list of courses I had to finish by early May: staff status I and II, Method One, Student Hat (twice), Pro TRs, Upper Indoc, Pro Word clearer course and internship, Pro Sup course and internship, and apprenticeship. How was this possible on even a full time Flag schedule?

I took a small amount of comfort in meeting the guys from my org who were already there. One of them wasn’t on course because he was waiting for some Qual action, and he helped me get through the rest of my routing form.

The outer org trainees had their own org board. Every trainee was assigned a buddy and an MAA from within their continent. You sat or stood with other members of your continent at musters and staff meetings, and there were also continent meetings where you did things like write letters, do your weekly condition write up and battle plan, do drilling and Chinese School, and report on your TIP progress. Each mess table in the mess hall even had its own org board.

The first muster of the day was outside the accommodation at the Hacienda. There would be a roll call and then all the trainees were supposed to exercise out in the yard. Due to the fact that there could be 10 people sharing a room, even if about half of them showered at night before lights out, and the other half in the morning, it was still a challenge getting ready and getting the bus early enough to have time for a proper breakfast.

Sometimes the buses would be late, or there would be a longer than usual gap between buses, and by the time one turned up the queue of people trying to get on it would be huge. Sometimes the driver would pull up a little short of the front of the queue and open the bus doors, and the people nearest the bus would just start piling on the bus, to the shouts of “Not OK!”, and “Out ethics!” from the people who had been queuing in front of them. We had been forbidden to take taxis to the base, but the taxi drivers knew there were always people ready to ignore this instruction rather than be late, and you would always see some people getting in the taxis that were always waiting at the edge of the Hacienda grounds in the morning.

One thing I particularly disliked was the dress inspections. I hadn’t been told by anyone at my org that training at Flag was a business clothing/upstat dress affair, so most of the clothes I had taken with me had been chosen with comfort in mind, since I had anticipated spending most the day sitting in a classroom. Getting so little sleep, so little time to eat properly, and feeling under constant pressure, after two or three weeks my clothes were already hanging off me. After a particularly unpleasant encounter with the Deputy Captain I had to dip into my limited cash reserves to hit the thrift store.

At one point in the training, some other outer org trainees from I believe one of the Sea Org orgs started checking people’s attire before they were allowed on the bus. I began wondering what exact LRH policy dictated that someone should make such a fuss because I wore no makeup.

On course, I never felt so slowed up in study since I’d been at school. Every stable win I’d had to do with study back in my org was steadily being knocked down.

For a start, the course rooms were so crowded I often couldn’t find a seat. As a newly trained sup back in my org, I’d been taught the watch word was SERVICE, so the first day I couldn’t find anywhere to sit, I told one of the sups I’d been up and down the whole Academy and every seat was full, so where should I find a space to study? Her response: “You’ve got 30 seconds to find somewhere to sit. Start!” How helpful was that, I wondered?

Getting the sup’s attention to get assigned a twin for a checkout turned out to be a major source of added time. I decided to time it one day, and wrote down the exact times on my daily report. It took on average 15 minutes’ waiting.

Even getting through the first checkout was a major accomplishment. Now I had read this policy letter numerous times, and had word cleared new students on it numerous times, and I didn’t see why getting through it should be such a challenge. It seemed that people at Flag had their own ideas of what acceptable definitions of words should be, and to me this seemed an oddly rote way of doing a checkout.

For example, I was asked to define “high crimes”, and I started to explain that in the Scn system of ethics, there were four categories of contraventions a person could commit, of which high crimes were the most serious. I was sharply flunked and told to look it up. In the tech dictionary I believe the definition is simply given as “a suppressive act”, and when I repeated this definition to the same sup, this answer was accepted. I still do not know to this day why my first answer was wrong.

By mid-afternoon, I still hadn’t gotten through the first policy letter. I was feeling roughed up by the choppy flunks, and desperate about possible consequences for not meeting my target. However, the best advice the sup was prepared to offer for the slow progress was to see the word clearer. Well, if I’d thought that would have helped, I’d have already sought her assistance. I didn’t know what I needed to clear, that was the thing. As far as I could see upon checking myself, I could define the words I was reading. It was just when asked to define words on a checkout, some other response was expected. I was rapidly perceiving my stable data about study, words, checkouts and conceptual understanding being undermined.

Staff Status I – a short checksheet that I would have steamed through in a few hours back at my org – had somehow drawn out into a several day long marathon.

The sup said I had to go on course on Saturday morning to meet my target. I couldn’t do this because the outer org trainees had their own schedule to keep, which included cleaning the apartments on Saturday mornings and attending their own muster. When course started in the afternoon, the sup complained I hadn’t come on course in the morning. It seems there was a complete lack of co-ordination between the various schedule requirements.

I was becoming pretty desperate by this point but apparently the sups had one simple answer to every possible disagreement – the good old Ethics routing form.

I finished the staff statuses and routed onto M1. As I had already completed the theory portion of the course back in my org, due to pressures of time I was told to take the exam straight away rather than go through the whole checksheet again. I got 100%, and felt somewhat vindicated with regard to my ability to study.

My sense of vindication was short-lived. My own pc folder was God knows where, and while I was trying to get the situation regarding my folder sorted out, I was auditing my twin.

The twinship wasn’t the best match. I was already a trained sup, whereas my twin had only done the BSM.

Every session I ran on my twin came back with a pink sheet, almost inevitably for some situation that had arisen that wasn’t specifically covered in the M1 materials. I never had the satisfaction of seeing a VWD session, and I started to wonder what was going on and what was being expected here.

I finally got to the bottom of what was going on with my folder, and by this time I had already completed my twin. Now that I had finally gotten in session, I found I couldn’t get enough metab. This was not normally something I had problems with. I hadn’t been getting enough sleep, and I was finding the food rather unsatisfactory in terms of quantity and time available to eat it.

I remember one session where the auditor helping the co-audit sup couldn’t get my ruds to fly, and we spent the entire morning grinding away on some repair list that didn’t indicate to me whatsoever. My item was that I just needed more sleep and a better diet with more protein in it to be sessionable.

In fact, I felt like I could have coped a lot better with the whole training program if I could only have felt better fed and properly rested.

When I was nearing the end of M1, my twin was having some trouble getting the list to either read or F/N. I did a very thorough coaching job on the pink sheet she had to do with assessments. After taking every part of the drill to pieces, I think I was F/Ning on seeing so much of an improvement in my twin. The sup, one of the OOT interns, I believe, told us to go straight back into session. I F/Ned the list.

The Student Hat course room was run by a 15 year old Sea Org kid called Jennifer and some OOT sup interns who were trying very hard to make an impression. It was back to the 15 minute wait for checkouts.

There were never enough tape players to go around, and I began turning up very early in the morning to be sure of getting a tape player. However, on more than one occasion, I was thrown off the tape player I had bagged, and the sup would tell me this was because a course completion needed it. I was left sitting reading my lecture transcripts waiting for a tape player to become available. During one such episode, one of the OOT interns came up to me and said I was being very slow, and that if I went any more slowly I would be sent home!

On another occasion the Deputy Captain, or FCCI PO for Outer Org Trainees, as she liked to be called, walked into the course room, picked up my checksheet in front of me, and stood there making a face. This contravened Point 4 of “What is a Course”, i.e. not letting people walk in and bother students for any reason.

On a few occasions when I couldn’t find anywhere to sit in the course room, I took my materials and studied in the library, where I could always get a tape player, and could get left alone to get on with my course without constant interruptions. I definitely made more progress and more points on those occasions than sitting in the course room where I could get randomly thrown off the tape player I was using at any time.

I really don’t know how I made it through so many weird and wonky star-rate checkouts and got out of there alive. For starters, my “normal” response time for answering questions was apparently too slow for many people’s liking and the most frequent thing that happened was the person would flunk me just as I had opened my mouth to answer.

Another thing was I realised giving a definition wasn’t a clear-cut thing at all. Some people expected a really detailed definition, whereas others hadn’t got the attention span or patience to listen to anything longer than a succinct, snappy response, and I either got flunked for an “incomplete definition”, or had my comm choppily cut while I was still giving my answer. I began to feel I had no stable datum on how much of a definition was enough – the material on the 10 types of misunderstood words had always seemed clear enough to me, but I couldn’t resolve it against the arbitrary flunking that was going on.

Every student on the Student Hat was supposed to get M4 word clearing on all the Student Hat materials, and every so often the sup would complain that this wasn’t being done. However, there weren’t enough word clearers to go around, and trying to find someone to do the word clearing in and around everything else that was going on was yet another challenge. I think I only got one word clearing session. This was a bit of a dropped ball – it wasn’t being set up or followed through with. I think the main thing that came up was a feeling of “misunderstood of nothing”.

Around this same time, I think everyone got reissued with a new TIP, and even though I was already a trained sup and had been sent to Flag to complete my full line-up to HPCSC, I got issued with a TIP for a word clearer. I thought that there had to be some mistake.

I was sent to do a cram after the Student Hat exam, and my cramming ruds wouldn’t fly, because I was concerned that there was a mistake about my TIP. I was also annoyed because the Cram Off told me the answers to the exam question I had allegedly missed instead of giving me a chance to clarify what I had written. It turned out I’d simply misinterpreted one question because of the way it was worded, and now I had an unfair cram to do as well as a huge PTP.

If things to this date had been something of a bumpy ride, it was about to get a whole lot more rough.

I had difficulty routing onto the Pro TRs course because apparently everyone was supposed to have C/S okay before they could do so. However, nobody had bothered to communicate this fact to me, nor had they bothered to communicate the fact that I was the person responsible for ensuring that it was obtained. Furthermore, one of the sups made some wild allegation that I’d made a snide remark to the course admin, even though she had not been present when the alleged comm cycle took place.

Where I could have sat with my hand up forever in the Student Hat course room, in the Pro TRs theory room I couldn’t get left alone. I was constantly interrupted and told I was manifesting barriers to study, constantly spot checked and pink sheeted, and for the life of me I couldn’t imagine why, as not only had I taken this course before, but back in my org I was regarded as a very good student by the meticulously thorough and tough sup there. One of the sups even arranged for a Qual word clearer to M2 me on “Barriers to Study” – the only reason that didn’t happen is because I didn’t metab.

Eventually one of the sups wrote some kind of “repair program” that included a recommendation that my M1 wasn’t flat, and I was routed off course. While going from one course room to another looking for an auditor to do the repairs, the Deputy Captain found me in the corridor and took me back to the Pro TRs theory course room by the scruff of the neck. The two sups got one hell of a tongue lashing, which disturbed the whole course room. Every student was staring.

As I had already received the clay table processing back in my org, I was used as an auditor for another student who hadn’t yet received the CTP. A note came back from the C/S thanking me for writing such clear, neat worksheets. Finally – someone had something positive to say!

One day my twin needed to eat something to be sessionable and the sup gave us permission to go and get something. While my twin was eating, the Deputy Captain’s assistant Mira came marching up to as and accused us of being out ethics and taking unscheduled breaks, even though we were there with the permission of the sup. I told her we were in session and tried to steer my twin away from her, but she blocked our path and started ranting about these important RTC executives who were visiting the base and what they would think if they caught us there. When we told the clay table sup, she was shocked and said it sounded like Mira was more concerned about what the RTC reps would think than about the pc getting sessionable.

Just as I had reached the end of the theory portion of the Pro TRs course, all the OOTs were assembled in the main hall of the Fort Harrison and made to sign a declaration bonding us to the payment of $10,000 if we were to reveal to anyone outside the room what we were about to be briefed on. We were informed that new pilot checksheets would be coming out for the sup and word clearer trainees, and that there would be a series of new drills that would form an important part of this training. David Miscavige told us about how a pilot study had shown that auditors had turned out mediocre even after extensive word clearing and theory drills, and that this had been handled by these new drills.

First, there was the patter drill, where the student sat facing a wall, reading the auditing commands from a sheet until he/she was able to give the commands flawlessly to the wall without referring to the sheet.

Next came a series of theory drills, quickly dubbed “What do you do?” drills by the students. The coach would read questions from a drills pack describing some scenario that might come up in session, and ask the student, “What do you do?” and the student was supposed to give the answer printed underneath the question in the drills pack.

For most auditing and word clearing procedures there were two varieties of this drill: the “in sequence” drill, where the questions mirrored the sequence of events from start to finish that would occur in session, and the “theory” drill where the questions were scrambled up in random order. These random order theory drills usually had three versions of the drill, with the questions in a different order each time. The student had to answer every question in the drill correctly in order to pass. If he/she answered even one question incorrectly, it was a flunk, and the student and coach would move onto the next version of the drill.

On the pilot version of these drills, the instructions were a little different to the ones on the binders that eventually got exported to all the orgs. The final version of the drill instructions said that if the student flunked, the coach was to show the answer in the binder and continue the drill. The pilot version instructions said that for each flunk the student was to find their MU. This was tying some students up in knots and drawing out the drill for hours, with students chasing after an MU on each flunk just so they could satisfy the drill instructions.

The next step was a fully scripted out session using the E-meter drills simulator. The student auditor would run the dummy session, operate the E-meter and keep worksheets, while the coach read the pc’s answers from the drills pack and followed the instructions as to what simulator buttons to press. The entire scripted drill had to match what was in the drills pack from start to finish. If the student auditor flunked, even once, the entire script still had to be finished all the way to the end before it could be re-started. Some of those drills were pages and pages long!

Finally, there would be the “final session drill”, with the coach making up session scenarios and operating the simulator and the student auditor handling any scenario that was thrown at him/her.

These drills were adapted for various things that a sup or word clearer would have to deal with – course room drills and word clearing drills.

These new checksheets included the same drills as were to later comprise the Study Certainty course for people who had done the “old” Student Hat, TRs 0-9, and then the GAT drills for either sup or word clearer.

I recall getting through the Study Certainty drills fairly quickly, but the TRs portion of the course turned out to be something of a sticking point. For me, the worst part of it was no one seemed to know or be able to decide whether the standard we were supposed to be reaching was the Flag Pro TRs standard, a co-auditor’s level of proficiency, or something in between.

My twin got sent to Ethics a number of times, causing us both slow-ups, and one sup intern after another who got assigned to our part of the course room on rotation were, quite frankly, robotic, unhelpful and lacking in ARC. The Deputy Captain, Diane Konneus, kept coming into the course room and enturbulating the area – one day she came in holding a female student by the scruff of the neck and shouted across the whole room, “Sup! Find her MU, she’s motivating like a motherfucker!” Verbal data and third party were rife. By this point in the training evolution, the schedule had been extended so we were studying until midnight every day.

At one point, somebody seemed to have fed the sup interns the idea that I was a lousy coach, and I was forever being jumped all over. One even said, “You can’t leave here without being able to coach somebody!” This made no sense, as back in my own org, I’d always been the person who could take a student who was struggling with a drill and get them through the difficulty and winning again. In fact, it had been that ability that had led my D of T to suggest I trained as a sup in the first place.

With regular late nights and having to shout to be heard above the din of scores of students in the same room drilling TRs, my throat became very sore and I caught a bug. There was no choice but to carry on, however.

The RTC reps would come into the course room and check out the students’ TRs, and eventually my twin and I got the checkout we had been waiting days for. My twin was checked out first, and then we were told to turn around and I was checked out. It was the sup intern who told us we had both passed and signed off our checksheets. We couldn’t even be extended the courtesy of hearing the magic word from the RTC rep.

The Upper Indoc TRs part of the checksheet went much faster, and probably because we were looked after by an experienced old FSO sup called Dusty Rhodes who I felt was the first person in ages I’d come across who actually inspired confidence. Bless you, Dusty.

It was back to the HCI for the rest of the Pro Word Clearer course, consisting of every method of word clearing, false data stripping, crashing MU finding and course room meter checks. Again we had a series of sup interns who ranged from the incompetent to the disinterested to the downright low toned. Frustratingly, it seemed to be the latter that were treated the most favourably by the Deputy Captain, D of T and other terminals.

One of them, a girl called Sascha from one of the American orgs, blamed absolutely everything that didn’t go as smoothly or rapidly as she would have liked on students dramatizing their cases. This same intern, when I was ready to give my first metered word clearing session, sat a student down in front of me who was very out-ruds and protesting loudly. I was made to go ahead with the word clearing under heavy duress, and when it (unsurprisingly) didn’t go well, she came down on me like a ton of bricks.

When finally one of the sup interns from our continent bypassed the sups and worked directly with my twin and me, lining up can holders and standing over us giving us checkouts on meter drills or clay demos without us having to wait, the pair of us made more progress in one day than we’d been making in three before.

The RTC reps started prowling the course rooms every day as things were obviously flapping. It wasn’t just us.

Things were arbitrarily instigated and arbitrarily cancelled all the time, which just added to the uncertainty. For instance, when we had cleaning stations after study, each cont got one night off cleaning. Luckily for us from the UK, our designated night off was Friday, which had been late night cleaning.

One day, however, upon going to get the bus on the usual Friday night, I was accosted by one of the other OOTs, who had ostensibly been placed to check who was getting the bus and why, and who asked me where I was going. Puzzled, I replied it was Friday, our cont’s night off cleaning. He said, “Where is that written?” So when this system was instigated, it was fine for it to be announced to the group, but when it was cancelled, no one was informed and we were expected to have the information in writing?

Sometimes, instead of cleaning, the OOTs were put on “special projects”, which often meant filing or tidying up of files. This wasn’t always very well planned or co-ordinated. I recall one filing night when there seemed to be a slow on the line, which I tracked down to there being just one guy with a typewriter making up typewritten labels with students’ names for the course admin files. He was typing the labels with one finger, and people were waiting for files to be typed up so they could take them and file the papers away. I found the I/C and suggested that I type the labels, as I could touch type 80 words per minute and could churn them out at the speed they were needed without backlogs occurring. But I was told no, Joe is typing the labels, and I should get on with my assigned task and stop complaining. This wasn’t the sort of reaction I’d expected in a supposedly production-oriented environment.

The bug I’d contracted had never gone away and it just got worse. Usually, if I just get a couple of early nights or sleep in for half a day I can shake these things off, but on the GAT program that just wasn’t possible. After much persuasion, one of the sups put me on an MLO routing form, and I went down to the MLO reception area to get seen. After about an hour, someone was shaking me awake – the sup had been sent down to get me. I was obviously very poorly, but the main agenda was to get me back on course, no matter what.

What had started off as a throat infection went onto my chest. Whenever I took a deep breath for the metab test, I could feel fluid bubbling around in the lower right hand part of my chest.

I soldiered on with the course, still sick and under constant threats of justice actions for being “slow”. One day, Diane Konneus was looking at the course room progress board with a couple of the sups, and I overheard her say about me, “God, this chick is a slow. She is a slow student – she has got MUs.” I was dissuaded from writing a KR by members of my cont.

By now, the schedule had been extended so that we were studying from 8 a.m. to midnight, and sometimes until 1 a.m. with 20 minute meal breaks. Saturday morning cleaning time had long since been cancelled. There was no consideration for the “no auditing after 10 p.m.” rule – if you had a checksheet item that called for you to give or receive word clearing or FDSing, you couldn’t wait until morning, it just had to be done no matter how late at night. We were told this had RTC approval.

At one point, we were told that if anyone had any BI’s with their TIP, they were to see the Snr. Intern Sup. I told her that my org had sent me to Flag to train as a sup, but I had ended up being put on the word clearer checksheet. I said I wanted to be posted as a sup when I got back to my org (I still had a valid sup cert) and I did not want to be posted as word clearer. She gave me some story about how the actual postings were decided by someone else and she didn’t have anything to do with that. (To this day, I have been unable to find who made the decision to TIP me as word clearer.)

However, she said that as the GAT team, we would be pioneers in our orgs, and the spin she put on it made it sound like we would be practically running the show when we got back. Having heard nothing but how “perfect” we were for several months, I think more than a few of us were in for a rude shock.

I completed the Pro Word Clearer checksheet, but to my surprise, instead of being able to route straight on to the internship, I was told by the D of T and Deputy Captain that I was going to “receive plenty of word clearing”. There were so many word clearer interns by now that there actually weren’t enough students to go around, and I basically spent the next week as their guinea pig.

Finally, I was allowed to route onto my internship, and the entire Crystal Ballroom on the 10th floor of the Fort Harrison had been turned over to getting student sups and word clearers through their exams and Qual checkouts.

There was just one problem – I’d been red tagged a number of times after word clearing and given a correction list, and the “out list” question read.

I raised the question as to whether I should be receiving any more word clearing or technical actions until this had been resolved, and I was given a hard time by the OOTs who by now were running Qual (yes, it really was the students who were running the joint). I was browbeaten into going ahead with the M4’s for the High Crime checkouts, and it was only when I red tagged again and the red tag wouldn’t come off, I was sent to an experienced Qual Consultant for an interview.

Dealing with a person who actually knew and had obviously been delivering the tech for some considerable time was an entirely different experience. I felt actually spoken to as a person, instead of a name on a list to be pushed through someone else’s program targets. During the interview, the Qual Consultant, an English fellow whose name I think was Ken, said that he thought that the staff had been told something unusual with regard to how to handle the OOTs. That certainly figured. Even as an inexperienced staff member, the whole program seemed to be riddled with irregularities from start to finish.

By the time I got through all the various Qual checkouts, it was already the end of April. We had heard that anyone who wasn’t through the whole program by Thursday 2 May would be subject to justice actions.

The word clearer I/C I was assigned to was someone I already knew slightly – she was an OOT from another org with whom I shared a room at the Hacienda. We made a pact that we would get me through by the deadline. So she lined up students for me to word clear and stood at my elbow the whole time observing to get me through. Two days, one day, half a day – one by one, the checksheet items got signed off.

Just before 2 p.m. on Thursday 2 May, I completed the last item on the checksheet and got sent to the Examiner to attest. It was in fact nearly 2.30 p.m. by the time I routed through the line and actually attested, but I had done it. I had completed my internship in two and a half days.

This wasn’t quite the end of the program, because we still had the May 9 event coming up. At the same time as the GAT, there was also the “New Era of Management” pack and all the various programs that went along with that, and we were to study them, along with doing various drills to do with handling public students back in our org, and doing Chinese School for the event.

At least by this time, the schedule had returned to some semblance of normality – we were finishing study at a decent time of night and getting our proper meal breaks back. Having gotten a bit more sleep, the bug had cleared up a lot, but I could still feel fluid on my chest when doing a metab test.

The rest, as they say, is history. We all sat in the Lemon Tree café watching the event by video feed, as David Miscavige talked about the Golden Age of Tech. When it was time for our bit, we walked very quietly through the garage and assembled outside the back steps of the Fort Harrison to recite an excerpt from KSW Series 2, “Quality Counts”, Chinese school style.

We had one final graduation where we received our Golden Age of Tech gold sealed certificates before being sent back to our orgs.

I could write a great deal about what happened when we tried to export the GAT to our own org and our own Academy, but this write-up was only supposed to cover what actually happened at Flag on that evolution. The rest is a story for another day.

Number of views:32812


elizabeth hamre  on May 25th, 2014

You also graduated on what is tolerance, being patient, allowing beingness, and most of all you have fantastic willpower… and that is the stuff of life which is like fire leads you onward and that is needed to reach your goals-dreams. You I understand. Best to you Elizabeth Hamre.

Scientology_411  on May 25th, 2014

Great writeup and thanks for sharing it. Very much looking forward to the rest of the story!

Poet13c  on May 26th, 2014

Lucid, detailed and easy to read: thank you Gwyneth, for a highly thought-provoking view into the madhouse world of miscavige. The CoS hasn’t anything to do with Scientology anymore, and thank God for that. Looking forward to the next part.

D'Anne  on May 26th, 2014

Wow… now you are making a lot of sense of the circuitous route I was taking through all that crap. I thought this was the only sane place on earth… (that’s what the glossy flier said)…. however, when I was trying to give the ship money so that I could go, I got ground up in the same kind of red tape and stupidity where they actually LOST MY FOLDERS at ASHO and not even my auditor could find them for over 6 months. They sent me here and there to do all kinds of weird things which all ended in dead ends. I felt like I was visiting the Winchester Mansion in California… with all the stairs leading to nowhere. It LITERALLY took 6 months for me to get my folders back and get back to auditing. Unfortunately, I didn’t take that weirdness as a sign and actually DID go to the ship a couple of times. The food was great, however, they would pull everyone on the ship into the Starlite Lounge in the evening and force us to give money to the Columbian Police for The Way to Happiness. They wouldn’t let anyone leave the room unless they gave. It was scary, disrespectful and unbelievably distasteful.

Your report has given me the insight to see that all these unhappy teenagers who are now above their heads in slinging around “the tech” are now left to tormenting their captives. Especially if the captive is talented or smart or looks like they might exceed. Those unhappy jailers are ferociously defending their territory and enforcing terrorist-like discipline towards anyone who is more advanced than they are — which, I am observing, everyone IS more advanced than those Sea Org members who are exacting this kind of torment on people. The old Guys (who, for the most part, have been labeled SP) seem to have more sanity and compassion for others. It seems like the young kids who are wielding the batons feel like they make points and defend their position by beating other people up.

Whadda mess.

I congratulate your ability to finish, in spite of all that garish stupidity! That’s a muscle you will have forever… the ability to complete things. That’s your win. ! You left the adolescent drill sergeants way behind in your dust. You also left behind that labyrinth of insane control behind you. Congratulations on your freedom! Thank you for sharing!!

Rhine  on May 26th, 2014

It sounds awful, but this was somewhat replicated in home Orgs later on, just not to that level of insanity. As TTC I did experience however similar events like constant tampering with peoples TIPs, no twins available, being scolded for not being at cause for not having a twin!! stuff like that. But mainly the decline in quality of auditing, thats what stood out the most.
Im amazed at how you survived that!

Interested Party  on June 6th, 2014

If “Auditors are the most valuable beings on the planet” then surely those who help them study and student auditors themselves are worthy of some respect?

All my training experience leads me to point to the above being out as the Why of empty public course rooms.

Leave a Comment