Possibly Helpful Advice

Finding your way after leaving the cult of Scientology

Scientology after the Golden Age of Tech – Part 3

robot-org-Part 3

Gwyneth Rolph sent us Part 3 of her participation in the 1996 GAT evolution. This is a patient recital of the  growing insanity that pervaded Scientology and you owe it to yourself to read this so you can fully understand the mindset of the staff members who were trying to make GAT a reality. Every staff member contributed to this insanity and Gwyneth wanted to share her realizations before you dive into the mind numbing saga of life after GAT.

My Realisations – by Gwyneth:

During my years in the Church, I stuck it out because we had all been sold the line that this was the only way that we were all going to get up the Bridge. At the time, my own personal way of being cause over the whole process of how we were going to do that was to train people.

I had no idea that there were any alternatives to training or processing in the Church. I had never been made aware of the Freezone. I never bothered to search the Internet because I’d heard it was the same handful of troublemakers spamming online discussion groups with squirrel OT data. If I’m perfectly honest, the one critical TV documentary and the handful of critical newspaper articles I saw during my time on staff only lent credence to this idea in my mind.

The Church aggressively promotes the idea to its members that ANYONE operating outside its sphere of control is a squirrel. Therefore, they argue, you cannot obtain actual LRH tech from anyone else.

After speaking to one or two other people who had gotten out, I started to do my own research. What became patently clear is that the Church under DM’s regime has become the ultimate squirrel group.

This third part of my story covers my second staff contract, from approximately 2003 to early 2006.

I’d spent about three years off lines, during which time I worked to put my finances straight, got involved with another band, did various handlings to improve my health situation, and took a business course at a local community college.

Having had experience of supervising, word clearing and delivering the tech, working an ordinary desk job out in the big wide world rather stuck in my craw. On org staff, I had had the opportunity to train in a specialised professional discipline that enabled me to help many students and members of the public, and even if I hadn’t been amused at my TIP change from supervisor to word clearer, certainly the students in the org respected what I did. Effectively, I had gone from a person with professional standing and credentials (at least in the eyes of the org public) to office support staff outside the org, and I was frustrated.

I wasn’t immediately thinking of going back on staff, but I had been very seriously thinking of doing the full OEC to complement my business management studies.

So when one day I received a phone call from the Senior I&R (Inspections and Reports) asking me to come in for an interview “to find out why staff have left”, I saw nothing wrong in at least hearing him out.

We did the interview, and he gave me some references to go and read in Qual. I simply answered the questions, but didn’t give him any indication as to what I was thinking of doing. I went away and read the references, and then let him know when I was done.

“That was amazingly fast!” he exclaimed. “We need people who are fast like that to train as executives.”

So to cut a long story short, I found myself on a project prepare to go into the Admin Training Corps for the Day Organisation.

Because I had been ill, the first thing I had to do was the latest version of the PTS/SP course – one of several GAT revisions of the course.

When I was almost done with the course, and had been about to start on the green volumes, the CO FOLO UK and the Snr Qual Sec asked to see me. They explained that the OES was going to train at Flag, and they were promoting the existing Tech Sec onto her post, and therefore they needed a replacement Tech Sec. I could hardly believe my ears. I had barely been back on staff three weeks, and I was already being musical chaired onto another post, and one for which at that point in time, I had received no training!

One of the first things I had to handle as Tech Sec was the fact that there was nobody running the Purif, so I got myself through the Purif I/C checksheet as rapidly as possible as an interim solution. The Day org had fewer than a dozen staff at the time, and with two at Flag and at least a couple of others only being part-time, I found myself wearing a lot of hats.

I barely had time to complete a new post Non-Existence formula as Tech Sec when the Flag Rep and ED one day said that it was vitally important that the org implement Org Program No. 1. As a first step toward getting that policy in, they explained, it was necessary to fill each of the three executive secretary posts. Two of the three posts were filled, but the HCO Exec Sec (HES) post hadn’t been filled since time immemorial, and this needed fixing fast.

Now I had been back on staff only just over a month, and already I was on my third post.

Another couple of months or so went by, and the Flag Rep told me that there were going to be some changes to the executive postings in the org, and that this was no reflection on the people who were currently holding those posts, only that management wanted people who were very experienced executives to fill the most senior posts as part of a hugely important org expansion program.

So a Sea Org garrison mission was sent into the org to fill the executive posts, the existing OES was put in the TTC, and I was sent to Saint Hill for various case handlings.

This was where I got my first taste of what it was like when the auditor and C/S are working flat out to actually handle something, as opposed to merely deliver hours. I had never had auditing like it! The idea was to handle certain parts of my OCA graph to qualify me for the TTC again.

While not in session, I was allowed to carry on with my executive training TIP in the meantime, and I routed onto OEC Volume 0. It might sound like a strange thing to some, but I really enjoyed the Volume 0 course, probably more than any other Scientology course that I had taken. I had never felt that I had been a product of the Staff Statuses, because of the pressurized circumstances under which I had been made to study them, and the unreality of being thousands of miles away from my own org at the time. I felt Volume 0 gave me the reality on the org board that I had been missing, and a whole lot of things now made sense.

The Snr. Qual Sec told me that he knew that there had been a lot of out tech in 1996, while the GAT was being introduced, and while things were shaking down in the orgs following its release.

He said that since my first post had been Academy Supervisor, and I had been doing well on that post in the beginning before I got pulled off, the idea was that I would go back into the TTC to do my full supervisor line-up to HPCSC. He explained that there was another supervisor training evolution at Flag that would be nothing like the one I had experienced in 1996.

I expressed my concerns about training at Flag again – the arbitrary rip-off onto another TIP, the pilot checksheet instead of the full line-up of courses, and the low ARC handlings by various staff. He acknowledged that there had been various injustices and things that shouldn’t have been, but that in the intervening period a lot of that had been investigated and many terminals and situations had been corrected and straightened out.

Well, I wasn’t going to commit to making an immediate decision, and I told the Snr. Qual Sec this, as well as the OES back in my org.

This is the point in the story where part of the hidden aftermath of the 1996 Flag training evolution reared its ugly head. All the trainees had been kept under tight security, with our passports and airline tickets under lock and key. I had been there on a three month visa waiver. As the third month of my stay at Flag began, I asked what the procedure was for getting this handled. I was told that because of the time pressure to get the training completed, there was no time for me to leave the country and sort out my immigration status. I had to stay and complete the training, no matter what. As one of the executives put it, “You’ll be done with the training and safely back home long before the system catches up with you,” and my passport and ticket were not returned to me.

As a consequence, anytime I needed to visit the United States, even if it was for only one day, I would need to apply for a full visa, rather than the usual three month visa waiver being automatically applicable.

The Snr. TTC I/C, obviously being already aware of this, had gone ahead and made an appointment for me to visit the US Embassy in London and, to my extreme irritation, had somehow steamrollered approval through the org’s FP the £60 application fee! I was especially annoyed because some weeks the staff had to stay late after our post hours regging like mad to get enough advance payments out of the public to meet the already overdue electricity or phone bill. But it was fine to cheerily spend £60 as a result of a situation other execs in the Church had created!

There was one more thing standing in the way – certain parts of my OCA graph just wouldn’t move above the centre line. I would be routed back to the HGC for some other handling, and then be asked either by the Snr. Qual Sec or the Snr. TTC I/C to do another OCA test. Sometimes they would ask me to do a second one straight after seeing the results of the first! I understand that at least one of them got a cram to do for making me fill out multiple OCA’s one after another.

Eventually my OCA graph was deemed to be good enough and I was told my Flag training CSW had been approved. The final thing I had to do was raise my air fare. I was put on the phones to reg public for the cost of the ticket. I thought this was highly inappropriate, but a couple of public I knew were happy to help out.

It had been a cold spring in East Grinstead, with frost and ice on the ground. Florida by comparison was warm and balmy, and this was only March.

It was Friday evening when I arrived at Flag, and Graduation was about to start. The minibus driver saw that I was tired however and offered to take me straight to the motels.

Trainees no longer stayed at the Hacienda. In the late 1990s the Church had bought three adjacent motel complexes a few miles further down the coast from Clearwater, and had refurbished them for trainee accommodation. I had thought the Hacienda was fairly rough accommodation, but at least each dormitory had originally been an apartment and had two separate bedrooms, a large open plan living area and a kitchen. At the motels, on the other hand, about the same number of people (about 8 to a room) were crammed into a single living space with a tiny bathroom. There wasn’t even a cupboard for my luggage, and I did my best to stash it out of sight under one of the bunk beds, squeezed in among someone else’s junk.

At least in 1996, if someone had just arrived by international flight, they were allowed to sleep in the next day. No such courtesy was extended this time. I was tired, jetlagged, and hadn’t eaten for 24 hours, but I was gotten up along with everyone else on Saturday morning and cleaning materials thrust in my hand to help clean the room.

The first couple of days were taken up just doing the routing form. I’d remembered doing a very long routing form previously. Now it seemed even longer.

The biggest difference that struck me was just how much security had been tightened since 1996. There were all sorts of new rules that had been introduced, perhaps just hadn’t been such a big deal before. No television, no Internet, no newspapers or magazines, no mobile phones, no leaving the base or the motels without permission, no unaccompanied females, the list went on. I’d had the idea that perhaps one Saturday morning I could pop down the street to the St. Vincent de Paul place and choose a couple of new outfits – I’d lost a lot of weight and hadn’t had any time to update my wardrobe. With the new security arrangements, I had to quickly forget that idea.

Another change was that I was expected to do work study. Because of the pressure to get everyone through the program in 1996, all work study was cancelled for the GAT trainees regardless of whether or not their orgs were paying for their room and board. With no specified deadline on this latest training program, it was back to the usual work study arrangements. Much as I hated call-in, I got myself on the event call-in work study roster as some of the alternatives were pretty dreadful.

I moved quite quickly through the theory portion of the Pro TRs checksheet, despite being used as an auditor for yet another student who needed to receive the clay table processing, in no small part because I had already done the entire course originally in my org as a public, and then doing the theory part again at Flag in 1996 and yet again at Saint Hill a year or so later.

Things didn’t go so well when I got onto the practical part of the course because I had no twin. I lost the twin I was originally assigned because she came from an org that was paying her room and board, and I couldn’t be on the same schedule because I had to do work study. Trying to get through a hard TRs course with no regular twin, believe you me, is not fun. I would be sent on wild goose chases by the supervisor going round the various courserooms, or trying to find someone who wasn’t on course and could spare a couple of hours to drill, just so that I would have someone to work with.

Before long I was told I had to have a TR debug checklist. Despite the same thing coming up again and again, i.e. that I had no twin, no one else seemed to be taking any causative steps to handle this.

One day I found myself working with a teenage guy from Scotland who, it turned out, also had no twin. Days later, I found out why: he had been stuck for ages on the TRs, and two previous twins of his had been re-assigned because he had been so slow and required other handlings. It also turned out he was a lazy, flaky little so and so, who had a tendency to disappear right when he was needed.

Physically, it was starting to be a real struggle. I was never getting enough sleep, as girls I was sharing a room with would nearly always arrive back at the motels well after lights out, and then the first one would get up and take a shower at 6 a.m. or even earlier. The CSW I wrote to be on a modified schedule was disapproved. Also, I was on a medical diet to keep my allergies under control, and I was finding it hard to stick to given the limited choice of food and even more limited time to eat it. Eventually, the inevitable happened, and I went down with a bug.

I’m not sure that I ever did get back to training. At some stage, either one of the TRs sups or someone had started a Flag training review board cycle, and after a second spell in isolation with another sore throat, and details of other parts of my medical history coming to light, I was sent home on medical grounds.

The senior Flag MAA was totally cool about it. I asked whether I was in any trouble, and he said no, and calmly explained the steps that would have to be taken if I were to continue training at Flag in the future. On the training side, I would have to be through Pro Metering, on the auditing side, I would have to do the Happiness RD and complete any incomplete auditing actions, and any necessary medical handlings or assist program would have to be completed so that my training would not be obstructed by physical problems.

Back in my org, the garrison mission OES was all efficiency. I was to go straight back to Saint Hill, he informed me, so that I could complete my training there.

I was relieved. At least Saint Hill wasn’t so crazy about security, and I could walk to and from my accommodation without being challenged, walk up to town to go shopping on a Saturday morning, and use the telephone any time I wanted to outside course hours. No one was bothered if I read novels, magazines or newspapers either, something they freaked out about at Flag. If I needed to go home for the weekend, it was only a train ride away.

At Saint Hill, the sups and D of T were glad to see me back. I am the sort of student who makes thousands of student points a day (provided my body ruds can stay in). Finally getting enough sleep and being able to follow my special diet again, I flew through the TRs in record time and made my passing video.

My celebration was short-lived. Even though the Flag MAA, my seniors in my org, and terminals in AOSH UK didn’t consider me to be in any trouble for not finishing the training at Flag, and were happy for me to carry on training at Saint Hill, terminals in Senior Qual had other ideas, and they demanded that I get sent to Ethics.

The MAA wanted me to go back to my org and do lower conditions, and when I told the D of T she said this was totally not OK, because as far as she was concerned I was an upstat student. So we concocted a plan where I would write a CSW to go back to my org and she would disapprove it, and then we would have it in writing that I couldn’t go. Unfortunately this held no sway with the Snr Qual Sec and Snr TTC I/C, who had the MAA ambush me outside the course room on the next break and literally frogmarch me off the premises! I think she would have frogmarched me all the way to the train station if she could.

Well, I did the necessary, returned to Saint Hill and got through the Upper Indoc TRs, and onto Pro Metering. I’d already done up to the final practical on the metering course, so it didn’t take me actually that long to brush up on the meter drills and get back onto that final video drill.

I’ve already written about the arbitraries on that course in a previous instalment of this story. I spent two and a half months on a full time TTC schedule trying to get through that final video, and I am told that I was one of the fast ones!

Again, I think much of the slow-up (apart from the arbitraries I mentioned) on that course was down to not having a steady twin. I would usually find people to drill with on weekdays because there were other students on full day schedules, but on the weekends I would often find myself in a similar situation to what I had experienced on the TRs course at Flag, being sent by the sup round the courserooms and elsewhere trying to find a coach or a can holder.

I honestly believe it is no coincidence that when Mr. David Phillips was sent to do some kind of retread in the metering course room and we were working together full time, within a couple of weeks of him coaching me and holding the cans for my videos, I made a video that I knew was a good one!

(Mr. Phillips, where are you now? I do sincerely hope you didn’t drink the kool-aid and get routed onto an A to E.)

I didn’t know that the metering sup had sent it up, but my new twin was a Class IX auditor who was posted somewhere high up in the CLO, and I got little reports as to its progress!

Having completed the metering course, I assumed that I would now just route straight onto the HPCSC checksheet, but mysteriously I was recalled back to my org. It turns out that the OES wanted to have me on the next plane back to Flag to carry on with the training there. When I politely acknowledged what he was saying but remained very neutral about the whole subject, he asked me why that was, and I said that the training requirement was only one aspect of getting re-qualled for Flag, and if the auditing and medical side of it couldn’t or wouldn’t be addressed fully too, then I was having none of it.

Besides, I told him, it was working out much better for me at Saint Hill, and I didn’t see why I couldn’t carry on.

So I completed the HPCSC checksheet and also OEC Volume 4 (as it was something I’d always wanted to study), and I got onto my sup internship.

By this time, it was October, and for anyone who recalls what that means for anyone left in the Church: the IAS event.

I had been staying in Bullards, an old house about 15-20 minutes’ walk from Saint Hill, that was used both as a Sea Org boarding house and as accommodation for outer org trainees. The thing was, since this house was so conveniently near Saint Hill, every time DM came to the UK for the IAS event, Bullards was taken over and used as accommodation for his staff for several weeks.

The Sea Org members who lived there were relocated to Walsh Manor. The outer org trainees, meanwhile, were not relocated anywhere but were literally turfed out into the street to find alternative accommodation in town. Anyone who has tried to find accommodation anywhere in the East Grinstead area during or leading up to the IAS event in years gone by will understand that was no mean feat!

One of the East Grinstead public runs two large boarding houses in town, and while all the rooms in these houses were taken, it so happened that one of them had a log cabin in the back yard. Since this was seemingly the only spare room in the whole vicinity, and I was under enormous pressure by this point to get through my internship, I had to take it. Now, I have stayed in some pretty basic accommodation in my time, but you understand that this was really just an oversized garden shed, in England, in late October. Brrr!

It was only once I had arrived there with my luggage that the landlady (Elana) told me I could only stay if I paid for the week’s accommodation upfront. She said she only made this request of staff members, as she was owed thousands in backlogged rent from the orgs who hadn’t paid for their staff. She didn’t seem exactly short of a penny, but I had no way of replacing the money that I’d had to take from my meagre savings to pay this, when I was studying full time!

I had to walk right through her private apartment to get to the backyard, and there only seemed to be one shower in the house with hot water. Elana said not to worry about doing the dishes, as she did them as part of the service. Yet every morning when I got up very early to go on course, the kitchen sink was full of other residents’ dirty crockery and pots and pans that hadn’t been washed, and every day I had to clean a pan before I could make my breakfast.

Then one day Elana complained that I didn’t wash the pan that I used and that someone had complained, so now I had to clean it both before and after breakfast, when I was already on a very tight schedule in the mornings.

I now had much further to walk to and from the org, and I started to notice my studentability going down again because it amounted to about an hour less sleep per night.

Getting through my sup internship itself started to look depressingly like another metering video scenario. It just seemed to take forever to get any of the checksheet items signed off. What should have been a two week checksheet dragged into three, and more, and I’d had to find alternative accommodation more than once.

As it happens, my very first sup from London in the early 1990s was also getting through his own HPCSC training at the same time, and the plan was that he was going to be my Foundation opposite number. He said something very strange to me one day when he was finishing his internship and I’d just started on mine. The A/Tech Aide (who had previously been the Snr. I&R who had recruited me back onto staff) had said to him something along the lines of how I “wasn’t the right personality” to be a sup, and he had relayed this to me, saying that he disagreed, and that when he had trained me I hadn’t needed any correction while doing the practical section of the mini course sup checksheet, which in his experience was rare.

I told him to write it up and thought no more of it. But I was becoming frustrated with the slow progress, and the feeling that I was having to handle the relevant terminals on signing off various parts of my checksheet.

My frustration boiled over one day when I was approached in the courtyard of Saint Hill one day by our org’s Cope Off, saying I had to get through my internship immediately as I was needed urgently on post. She didn’t tell me any details, but I could see from the look on her face that something had happened.

Against the backdrop of present time problems with regard to time pressure, living accommodation issues, tiredness and having next to no financial means, I completed the remaining items on my internship checksheet. Eventually I reached the ridiculous situation of having completed all the items on the checksheet, but not receiving an overall pass on the grounds of “not having the right beingness”, and I was sent wandering all round East Grinstead one day to work out my supervisor beingness.

The Qual Sec did eventually sign off the final attest line on my checksheet, but again I felt like I’d had to handle him on it instead of him happily wishing me on my way.

On my return to my org, I discovered what was going on that was making everyone so nervous and reticent.

Apparently DM had visited the org and when he walked into the Academy, the supervisor had been leaning against a wall. The A/Tech Aide, known to be a DM “yes man”, had removed her from post. DM had also freaked out about other things regarding the org scene and one of his RTC staff had taken down the certificates awarding the Day and Foundation orgs Class V status. It wasn’t clear whether the Class V status had been actually rescinded, as nothing had been placed in writing, but the order from DM was that the org was to focus on delivering Div 6 services, Student Hat and PTS/SP course, and any students on the Levels or Solo had to go to Saint Hill.

When I turned up in the org the day after I completed my internship, there was no HCO terminal to route me onto post. The Academy was completely unmanned, and the students were due to arrive soon for course. So, unposted and in the dark about what was going on, I opened the Academy for business as usual.

As part of the program to turn our org into an Ideal Org, there had been a large push to recruit preferably OT members of the East Grinstead field onto staff, and I turned up to find a new ED and several other new faces.

For years, our org had been a little closely knit band of stalwart staff members holding numerous hats and keeping the place going as best they could. With the influx of new recruits from East Grinstead, after a short time the old guard were outnumbered and the entire team dynamic of the place had changed.

As I was stuck in the Academy all day apart from short breaks and musters, much of the time I relied on my colleagues to approach me and visit the Academy as I couldn’t physically leave, and I started to feel out of communication and sidelined. Rarely did anyone come in and ask if I needed any call-in done, or if a student needed a twin for a drill or any help with word clearing, or indeed originate any communication that would have assisted me on my post. Often the only time I saw another staff member at all throughout the day (apart from morning or lunchtime muster) was when a colleague from Div 6 came to collect the BIS (bodies in the shop) stat.

Meanwhile, more and more of the East Grinstead OT’s were recruited onto staff and seemed more interested in flowing power to each other than to the Academy, the heart of the org’s service delivery! For example, the D/ED and Tech Sec would spend all their time auditing in the HGC instead of functioning on those posts, while the ED, who was also the C/S and the Reg, would sell the public intensives instead of training. Any time I heard about a public who was supposed to be starting a course, there was always a “reason” why I couldn’t be furnished with their contact details so I could follow up on the cycle. (“Izzybelle gets ARC broken if there are phone calls from people she doesn’t know, so leave it to me”.)

Despite these various obstacles that made life interesting, the student points and completions had been uptrending since I came on post. Then suddenly they crashed, and I was tearing my hair trying to find out why.

It was only after I had been removed from post, and was in the relative peace and quiet of my new post in Treasury (where the previous sup had also been reposted), that I started reading the Data Series and started to slowly piece together what had happened.

The crash was date coincident with the arrival of one particular terminal on the scene – the A/Tech Aide. He was continually coming up from Saint Hill to the org, doing random “tech inspections”. Several students had originated being enturbulated by him, but I didn’t put two and two together at the time.

In the afternoon course break, I would go downstairs to make a cup of tea, and he and the new Tech Sec would most days be sitting in the ground floor area talking about goodness knows what. Whichever one of them happened to be sitting facing the door to the stairwell would fix a hostile gaze on me as I walked through the downstairs area.

One thing this pair particularly didn’t like was the fact that right to the end, I had a little loyal knot of students who would always come on study if I was there, and if I announced I was also covering in the evening, they would put in extra study time. This hadn’t gone unnoticed, of course, and it was always those students who had bad things said about them by the A/Tech Aide and the East Grinstead crowd. I was always being threatened that I had to send these students to Qual or Ethics for this or that reason. However, those students had better schedules and made more student points than most, and I did what I could to provide a safe environment for them to study without being influenced by what was going on.

The place emptied of students, but it wasn’t just my course room – I covered for the Foundation sup on a number of occasions, and his course room was even emptier than mine. More than once, on a Saturday I spent the morning writing my letters because there was no one there. The Div 6 course room in both orgs had never had so few students on course.

Meanwhile, a new sup (a friend of the OES and Tech Sec) had been parachuted in all the way from Israel. The first I knew of it was when I went to check for messages one day, and the baskets in HCO had been re-labelled – there was a stranger’s name under the “D of T” basket.

Suddenly, all those students I’d been told were only to be contacted by this or that person were immediately signed up to start on course. Staff were volunteering every day to drill, word clear or get students in to the Academy. Even the A/Tech Aide dropped in to do meter checks. This guy was getting the kitchen sink thrown at his area, while I’d been virtually ignored.

One of the students had been stuck on one course a very long time, despite having loads of word clearing both in our org and in ANZO. I was the sup who finally got her moving through the checksheet, and even after my removal to Treasury, I said I would keep my promise to get her through. So I used my own study time in the evenings to word clear, false data strip and coach her, and I told her that when she did finish the last checksheet item, to come and find me in Treasury and I would sign off her checksheet, since I had supervised her through the majority of the course. She did so, and was very happy, and thanked me profusely when she gave her graduation speech.

However, at staff muster, the OES and Tech Sec mentioned that “Student B finally graduated”, and gave a glowing report about “our wonderful D of T for getting her through”. Quite honestly, by this stage I had expected no less, but at least one of the “old” org staff came up to me and said she thought it wasn’t OK.

I had genuinely been trying to make a go of it in Treasury. After all, the org’s income had been poor and the files had been a mess ever since I’d been there, and I did everything I could to learn about finance, parishioner accounts, and getting the Department of Income straightened out. However, what I ran into was very similar to the scene I’d encountered in the Academy, where a few “old” staff flowed me the particles I needed to do my hat but I was largely ignored or undermined by the East Grinstead crowd.

I examined the facts, as far as I could determine, for both orgs.

The Day org garrison mission had been removed from post and put on the decks – I saw them raking leaves in the grounds of Saint Hill. Both I and the previous sup had been removed from post and shunted off into Treasury. The Div 6 sup I had trained was reposted as IAS Membership Officer. The Book 1 auditor I had trained was reposted as Dir. Promotion & Marketing. The Purif I/C had been booted off post and was no longer on staff.

The entire Foundation org Executive Committee had been subject to a Comm Ev that resulted in justice actions and a golden rod issue being posted up with the findings. Their FEBC-trained ED and HAS had their FEBC certificates suspended pending a full retrain, and both were removed from post. A veteran auditor of 20 years was removed from all metered actions, the Snr. C/S had her C/S certificates suspended, and a Class IV intern was booted off her internship. The Practical sup who had trained with me in 1996 was now Estates Manager. The D of T had been too physically ill to be on staff for some time.

The same guy seemed to either be directly responsible for it, authorise it, or have a hand in it – the A/Tech Aide.

I wrote up my findings, and perhaps unsurprisingly, found myself pulled in for an Ethics interview – firstly by the HAS, then by the Class VIII trained D/ED, and finally by the Continental Justice Chief, who made a simpering speech to me about how his friend the A/Tech Aide was such a good guy.

I’d had enough of being ignored, KR’ed for petty or imagined wrongdoings, and seeing tech terminals and veteran staff unmocked, and especially public students being vilified and enturbulated, and I routed off staff and never looked back.

At the time I left, my org had a Central Files size of over 120,000 records. That is 120,000 people who have actually bought a book or a course, not just made enquiries or taken a personality test. The point is: where are they now? What prompted them to reach for the tech? Why were they not looked after so that they continued on up the Bridge? There must have been a reason why these folks fell off the lines or never got started. I can give you a big clue: service.

Let me share something with you: the purpose to train auditors never went away. BOOMING AN ORG THROUGH TRAINING remains a hugely inspirational reference for me. Sups are a rare breed and I’ve realised I’m probably one of only two or three independent sups in the UK.

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Kind regards,

Number of views:110853


politican  on June 28th, 2014

Wow! Amazing… I remember Elana. I stayed in here house when I was there in the 1980’s.

D'Anne  on June 28th, 2014

Wow. It’s official…. The inmates are now running the asylum.

Richard Kaminski  on July 15th, 2014

Well done, Gwyneth.

Yes, I agree, SSIII was the nicest admin course I ever did. A few years after I’d completed it, a new checksheet was issued so bloated it would have taken a year or more in study time to finish it. It occurred to me then that the intention was to deter a continuous progress of staff competence from SSI to SSII to SSIII, which as Vol 0 would have been the Basic Staff Hat. Everything you’ve written up so eloquently, shouts off-policy, but how would today’s staff member know what was on or off policy? It’s pretty obvious that today’s orgs don’t run on green on white.

These three write-ups deserve the widest possible circulation in orgs.

Leave a Comment